Smoky chipotle fajitas with guacamole
I’ve got a bit of a busy bit week this week, so I planned ahead for some really easy meals. This was a super speedy one, because I did the time-consuming bit yesterday. While I was making last night’s dinner, I cooked the chicken in the smoky chipotle sauce, then shredded it and put it in the fridge.
So tonight, all I had to do was microwave it, warm up some tortilla wraps and throw together a super-quick guacamole. Ten minutes, max!
So feel free to prep ahead. The chicken could be cooked, shredded and then frozen, just ready to defrost on those busy nights when you need dinner FAST. Next time, I’ll make double portions and freeze half. It was so tasty, I don’t think “next time” is going to be too far away…
Ingredients (serves 2)
– 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
– 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped into 3 or 4 pieces
– one small onion, peeled and cut into wedges
– 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and ground coriander
– 250g passata
– chipotle paste (I used about a tablespoon, but adjust for your spice level)
– one ripe avocado
– juice of half a lime
– 5 cherry tomatoes, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and then brown the chicken on all sides.
3. Mix the passata, chipotle paste, cumin and coriander together, and mix the chicken, onion and garlic in the sauce.
4. Place the mixture in a shallow roasting tin, and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through
5. Shred the chicken using two forks to pull it apart. Mix it back with the sauce, onions and garlic.
****This can be done in advance and the chicken can be frozen at this point. You can even follow The Kitchn’s advice about freezing whole fajita meals together in advance.
6. To make the guacamole, peel and de-stone the avocado. Cut half into chunks and mash the other half with a fork. Mix with the juice of half a lime (or more if you like it lime-y), the chopped cherry tomatoes and salt and pepper.
7. Heat the tortillas according to the instructions on the packet.
8. Serve the tortillas with the chicken, guacamole and shredded lettuce, and start building fajitas!
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes