Pulled chicken thighs
This recipe is based on a BBC Good Food recipe called Firecracker Brisket. It is an amazing recipe, but takes a really long time. By substituting the pork for chicken thighs, you make the ingredients a lot cheaper, and the cooking time a lot shorter.
Ingredients (serves 6 generously)
– 8-10 chicken thighs (no skin, bones removed)
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 onions, chopped
– 1 tablespoon paprika
– 1 tablespoon English mustard
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon treacle
– 50 ml red wine vinegar (plus 2 extra tablespoons)
– 75 g brown sugar (plus 2 extra tablespoons)
– 3 chopped garlic cloves
– 4-6 bay leaves
– 2 whole chillies (optional)
– 500ml passata
– 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C.
2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Brown the chicken on all sides and transfer to an oven-proof casserole dish. Mix the paprika, mustard, cinnamon, treacle, 2 tablespoons each of vinegar and sugar and the final tablespoon of oil together in a small bowl. Brush most of this over the chicken (keep a little back for later).
3. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and sweat the onions for 8-10 minutes until soft. Once softened, add the garlic, bay leaves and chillies and stir together for 2 minutes. Pour in the passata and Worchestershire sauce, with the remaining vinegar and brown sugar. Season and pour over the chicken.
4. Put a lid on the casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes. By this point the meat should be very tender.
5. Take the lid off and mix the dish around. Brush the rest of the spice paste over the chicken. Turn up the oven to 180°C and cook for a further 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Skim off any fat and shred the chicken by pulling it apart with two forks. Remove the bay leaves and chillies from the sauce, then toss the meat together with the sauce. (You can remove the onions too if you want, but I like them in there!).
You can make this up to two days ahead, as long as you keep it sealed in the fridge and reheat thoroughly in the oven at 180°C for at least 30 minutes. Check all reheated food is completely cooked through.
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes