Use up leftover chicken – lemon thyme and garlic chicken with roasted veg couscous
I may have mentioned before that I hate wasting food. I always try to use things up instead of throwing them away and I meal plan carefully. Sometimes using up leftovers can be a bit of a challenge or at least repetitive. For example, using up roast chicken. I searched for options and most of the options were the obvious – chicken curry, chicken salad, chicken soup.
I wanted something a bit fresher, so I put together this zingy sauce of garlic, lemon and fresh thyme. It’s easy to make and really wakes the chicken up. Using the lemon rind and the stems of the thyme sprigs in the vegetables infuses them with even more flavour to perk up your couscous. So whilst the pictures of the dish aren’t particularly colourful, I can assure you that the taste certainly is. And I am all about the taste, after all!
Ingredients (serves 3)
– leftover roast chicken
– one lemon
– 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
– 6 cloves of garlic
– half a teaspoon of sugar
For the couscous
– 180 grams of couscous
– one white onion
– 2 carrots
– half a zucchini
– 3 button mushrooms
– chicken or vegetable stock cube
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon. Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
2. Peel and chop the onion into wedges. Peel the carrots. Cut the carrots, mushrooms and courgettes into rough chunks. Toss with a tablespoon of oil olive in an oven-proof dish along with some seasoning, the rind of the lemon, the thyme stems and four of the garlic cloves (unpeeled). Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Meanwhile, heat some butter or oil in a small saucepan. Chop the remaining two cloves of garlic and cook on a low heat for ten minutes. Add the lemon juice and stir together for a further five minutes, then add in the thyme leaves. Taste and season – you might need to add a splash of water and/or the sugar.
5. Mix the chicken in with the sauce and leave on a low heat until completely warmed through.
6. Pour the couscous into the oven-proof dish and crumble over the stock cube. Take the unpeeled garlic cloves out, squeeze the soft garlic from the skins and mash with a fork. Add to the dish.
7. Pour over enough boiling water to cover the couscous and stir with a fork. Put back in the oven for five minutes, then serve with the warmed chicken. Remove the thyme sprigs and lemon rings before serving!
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes