Chicken chilli in the slow cooker – easy and tasty!
I made a white chilli recipe a while ago, back when I lived in Spain. It’s really tasty and healthier than traditional chilli con carne. Since I moved to Malaysia, I’m having to adapt my cooking, as my kitchen is totally different.
The two-ring gas hob we have now is REALLY hot and so there’s no way to simmer casseroles on it. It’s definitely designed for flash cooking and stir-frying. Much as I’m enjoying experimenting with new flavours and ingredients, I don’t want to forget my old style of cooking either. So I bought myself a new slow cooker and tried it out today. I’ve adapted my original white chilli recipe to suit the slow cooker, and it was actually even easier to make than before! If you want the original recipe, it’s can be found by clicking here. Or try it in a slow cooker. The ingredients vary slightly (partly because I’m limited here by what I can find in the shops) but both give you delicious chilli!
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
– 400 g chicken mince (or a mix of chicken and turkey mince)
– 1 small onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1 tablespoon each of smoked paprika, ground coriander and ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 200 g can baked beans in sauce (cannellini would be good too but I couldn’t find them!)
– 1 lime
– one avocado
– vegetables of your choice (I used 2 carrots and 5 small mushrooms)
– 100 ml warm chicken stock
– 1 tablespoon Chipotle sauce (adjust to suit your taste for spicy food!)
To serve: Tortillas or nachos (click here for a recipe for healthier baked nachos)
1. In a large frying pan, cook the mince, onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until the onion starts to soften and the mince is no longer pink.
2. Put this in the slow cooker, along with the vegetables, sauce beans, stock and seasoning. Stir together well. I cooked mine on high for an hour, then low for three more hours.
3. Peel the avocado, remove the stone and roughly mash the flesh. Add this to the slow cooker and stir in. Cook on low for a further 30 minutes.
4. Stir in the juice of the lime. Taste and season.
5. Serve with fresh tortilla nachos for dipping. Enjoy!
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes