Cheesy mushroom and quails’ egg breakfast cups
These breakfast cups are really easy to make and so tasty! They’re great for a vegetarian brunch or breakfast… you could also try them with a bit of bacon mixed in with the mushrooms if you’re not veggie!
You don’t need any special equipment, just a standard muffin tin.
Serve warm with a dab of spicy ketchup – you can either buy chilli ketchup or mix regular with a small amount of Sriracha.
Ingredients (made 6)
– 2 flour tortillas
– 1 cup mushrooms
– half a cup of grated cheddar cheese
– 6 quails’ eggs
– freshly ground black pepper
– chilli ketchup to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Lightly grease six holes in a muffin tin. Use a glass to cut six circles out of the tortillas – the glass works like a cookie cutter. Push each circle into a hole in the muffin tin.
3. Roughly chop the mushrooms. Saute in a little oil (or I used roasted garlic butter) for 3 or 4 minutes until they are starting to colour. Divide the mushrooms between the six tortillas circles.
4. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the mushrooms.
5. Crack a quail’s egg on top of the grated cheese. (It helps if you push the centre of the cheese down to make a dip first, so they egg stays in the middle. Guess which one I didn’t do this with!)
Top with black pepper.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the white is set but the yolk is still runny. Keep an eye on them, as the yolk goes from runny to set very quickly! Serve with the spicy ketchup and enjoy.
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes