Easy cassoulet – sausage and bean bake
Do you have one of those comforting, fail-safe recipes that you can always rely on? Whatever the mood or the weather, you can fall back on this recipe to make everything ok?
This is mine.
A simple cassoulet was one of the first things I learnt to cook. This recipe has gone through lots of adaptations (depending on what I had in the cupboard) but I’m always happy to cook it and even happier to eat it. It isn’t a traditional cassoulet, but my cooking style has never been by-the-book. Use this recipe as a base then play around with whatever sausages, beans and vegetables you like. I sometimes serve it with mashed potato on the side instead of stirring the potatoes in.
Don’t miss out the mustard though. That’s a must!
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 8 good quality sausages
– 1 onion,peeled and cut into wedges
– 2 garlic cloves, sliced
– 2 celery sticks, sliced
– 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
– 4 mushrooms, sliced
– 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
– Either 400g tin of cannellini beans and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree OR 400g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
– 200ml chicken stock
– 1 heaped tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the cubed potatoes in a pan of boiling water and simmer for about ten minutes until just cooked through (test with a fork).
2. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and brown the sausages all over. They don’t need to cook all the way through at this stage. Once browned, transfer to a roasting tin.
3. Add the onion to the frying pan, then stir in the garlic. After they have begun to soften, add the celery, carrots and mushrooms. Cook together for about 5 minutes.
4. Pour in the stock and beans (plus the puree if using) and turn up the heat until the stock bubbles.
5. Pour the stock, beans and vegetables over the sausages in the roasting tin. Drain the potatoes and add them as well. Place in the oven for 15 minutes (until the sausages are fully cooked).
6. Stir in the mustard, season to taste and serve.
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes