Cherry tomato, mascarpone and rocket pasta – meatfree midweek meal
This meal is a great way to give yourself to a little midweek luxury! The juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy mascarpone and peppery rocket feel taste lavish and decadent, but the whole thing takes less than 20 minutes to cook and most of the ingredients are store cupboard staples!
So if you deserve a treat on a weekday evening, throw this delicious pasta dish together, enjoy it… and have enjoy time left over to put your feet up!
*NB – I keep writing cheery tomatoes instead of cherry. But then, tiny tomatoes do cheer me up – maybe it’s apt!
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
– 300 grams dried spaghetti
– 1 medium sized white/yellow onion, peeled and chopped
– 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
– 330 gram tin of cherry tomatoes
– 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary
– 1 tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce
– 250 gram mascarpone cheese
– 70 grams rocket (washed)
1. Boil water in a saucepan and cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
2. While the spaghetti cooks, prepare the sauce. Heat oil in a large pan and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another few minutes, until both are softened.
3. Add the tinned cherry tomatoes. Worchestershire sauce and dried herbs to the garlic and onions. Simmer for about 5 minutes while the sauce thickens then taste.
*** Tasting here is really important. Different brands of tinned tomatoes taste very different. Some can be extremely acidic. If this is the case, add a little sugar or a squeeze of tomato ketchup.
4. Drain the pasta and stir into the tomato sauce. Add the mascarpone and combine (the mascarpone will take a few minutes to melt into the sauce).
5. Season to taste with lots of freshly cracked black pepper and a little salt. Stir in the rocket and serve immediately.
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes