Gluten free lasagne – chicken lasagna with courgette
This lasagne recipe is perfect for people avoiding gluten, as the pasta is replaced by layers of courgette. It’s also lower in calories than normal lasagne (although don’t worry, there’s still a very generous helping of cheese!)
The recipe is similar to my skinny chicken bolognese. If you want to try out that recipe, you can find it here.
Ingredients (serves 2)
– 200 g chicken mince
– 1 carrot
– 1 white onion
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1 tablespoons tomato puree
– 200 ml passata
– 1 zucchinis
– 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary
– 125 g mozzarella, sliced
– 75 g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Finely chop the onion, garlic and carrot (you can also do this in a food processor to make life easier).
2. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Cook the onions for about two minutes, then add the garlic and stir together until they begin to soften.
3. Add the carrot with the Worchestershire sauce. Stir together then cover and leave to sweat for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the chicken mince and cook until the meat is white and firm. Pour over the tomato puree, passata and herbs and combine well. Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Season to taste.
5. Use a vegetable peeler to peel long strands of the courgette. Stop when you get down to the seeds (you can also chuck this bit in the food processor and add it to your sauce).
6. Take a heatproof dish and spoon in a layer of the filling. Top with slices of courgette until you have covered the sauce, then place over half of the mozzarella and half of the Parmesan. Repeat with the sauce, courgette and cheese.
7. Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes