Home comforts – creamy chicken, bacon and leek pie
I’m back in England, staying with my parents this week. I’m cooking for them and last night I made a delicious pie. I love pie. This one was warm, comforting and full of homely flavours.
I used ready-made puff pastry for speed. You can, of course, make your own! I included chicken thighs for extra flavour, along with bacon, leek and carrot. You could switch up the carrots – sweetcorn or peas would also work well.
I served this with a side of red cabbage and peas. It cooked while the pie was in the oven, whilst still leaving time to do most of the washing out before the meal was ready!
Ingredients (serves 3)
– 5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
– 6 rashers of smoked bacon
– 1 leek
– 1 large carrot
– 250g mascarpone
– 1 teaspoon dried parsley
– half a chicken stock cube
– salt and pepper to season
– 200g puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Make the pie filling. Spray a large pan with cooking oil spray. Chop the bacon into small-ish pieces and cook over a medium heat.
3. Cut the chicken thighs into chunks and add to the pan. Stir and continue cooking.
4. Chop the leek and add to the pan. Peel and chop the carrot. Also add to the pan. Stir and cook together until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Add the mascarpone to the saucepan and stir in well, along with the parsley, crumbled stock cube and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Transfer the pie filling to an oven-proof dish. Roll out your puff pastry to create a lid for your pie. Place the lid on top of the filling. Either leave some space around the edge or make a hole in the pastry for steam to escape. 7. If you want to, decorate your pie with extra puff pastry! 8. Cook the pie in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes. The filling is already cooked, so you are waiting for the puff pastry to rise and turn golden brown. While the pie cooks, prepare some vegetable side dishes, like my red cabbage and peas.
Follow me on Twitter for more recipes